Diamond motifs in multi-colored brocade

28 March 2014

 

 I decided to make a multi-colored isolated motif in the same overlay/underlay technique. The design is simple, a diamond with 4 diamonds inside. Using 3 colors is new. I did graph it out on paper the first time, not as a guide to weaving it but sort of a dry run to find problems. Maximum float length is over 5 ends. The dimple in the middle of the small diamonds is a tie down to prevent a 7 end float.

isolated motif, multi=colored I did not use the graph to weave the design, weaving it is easy just move over one end each pick The design is has nice clean lines. The lines at the 4 points that sort of look like rabbit ear antenna, are not as strong as I thought they would be; appears that a float over just one end can disappear at times and the line is rather weak.

The turns of the brocading weft are on the back of this piece and while that makes for nice clean lines visually it made it a bear to weave.  The hardest part of was finding the right thread dangling down on the back. For some reason my finger can’t tell if I have a pink or a purple thread.  It can be difficult to tell if the thread should go to the right or left because you can’t see where it came through the web. So it can help to have a system such as all the brocading wefts travel in the same direction in each pick as that travelled by the ground weft.

To clarify, I decided that if the ground weft went from right to left in that pick then all the brocading wefts also go right to left.The problem is just to find the right one and that is the slow step here.

The pastel colors do not have the energy of the brighter color typically used in Latin American brocades. Here is the back side:

isolated motif, multi-colored. backside

There are many ends and I made no attempt to hide the ends, I did trim them to a uniform length.

Next challenge is to make a whole row of the same diamond motif, each motif with a different color scheme. This time the turns will be on the top, since there are more brocading wefts to get confused and tangled. I did add the edge second motif to the graph to get the spacing right.

row of diamondsWorking the turns on the top is much, much easier. No confusion, you can see which is the right thread to use. Much easier.But the turns penetrate in the next color block. So the design is not as clean as the first, but it still works.

Lesson learned:

  • turns on the bottom can be difficult with many brocading threads
  • need a system not to skip any brocade thread  in each pick
  • turns on top take up lateral space
  • one end floats are not very effective visually.  They are the same size as the normal weft and thus do not stand out.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: